3 best scanners for making your designs digital
A good scanner is essential for digitalising hand-drawn designs. Here’s our round-up of the best…
06 Jul 2018
Why do you need a scanner for creative degrees?
Most designers and artists use a scanner to make their hand-drawn designs digital. This means you can showcase your collection on your laptop or tablet or upload your portfolio to a website.
Scanning your designs means you can edit them using specialist software to get the exact look you want.
But that’s not all. Use your scanner to upload old print photographs, documents or natural objects such as leaves to create digital art, or experiment with scanner art. The only limit is your imagination!
Whether you want a “do it all” printer, copier and scanner, or a dedicated high-resolution scanner, here are our top 3 picks for creative students…
1. New to design: Canon LiDE 220
Just getting started with design? A good entry level scanner like the Canon LiDE 220 will let you scan designs, sketches and magazine pages on to your computer or digital portfolio.
If you’re on a budget, a dedicated model will give you higher resolution scanning for your money than an all-in-one.
- Crisp and detailed scans of your sketches with a resolution of 4800 x 4800 dpi
- Brings out bold, bright colours in your designs with the three-colour LED light source
- Create multipage PDF documents straight from the scanner – a handy tool for building your portfolio
- Quickly edit images with Auto Document and Photo Fix technology – restore colour and remove dust or scratches
2. Aspiring designer: Epson V370
When it comes to printing and scanning, resolution is an important factor to consider. A higher resolution will provide more detailed scans, so they’ll look just as good on screen as they do in your sketchbook. Resolution is usually measured in dpi (dots per inch).
The Epson V370 is a dedicated, high-resolution scanner for serious art students and designers.
- Capture detailed designs and rich colours with high-resolution scanning (4800 x 9600 dpi)
- Scanning bulky textbooks is easy with the 180-degree extendable hinge
- Scan directly to email or cloud storage to access your documents on the move
- Transparency unit allows you to scan old slides, film and negatives for digitalisation or incorporation into artwork
3. Multi-function on a budget: HP Envy 7134
If you’re short on space and want to be able to print finished projects (and essays!) as well as scanning, an all-in-one printer and scanner is a flexible, budget-friendly option.
If you choose an all-in-one, it’ll have two separate dpi resolutions – one for printing and one for scanning.
The HP Envy 7134 is a budget-friendly all-in-one with high-quality photo printing, plus scan and copy options.
- Easily scan your sketches and rough designs and get them sent straight to email
- Print portfolio-ready projects with lab quality, borderless photo printing
- Print wirelessly from your tablet, smartphone or laptop – perfect for quick updates to designs
- Save up to 70% on your printing and get ink delivered to your door with a 9-month Instant Ink trial
Want to explore more? See our full range of scanners