3 best tablets for travelling
Want to stay connected on holiday? A tablet or e-reader is the perfect travel companion - lighter than a laptop but larger than a smartphone. Check out our top 3 picks…
06 Apr 2018
For everyday computing
When you’ve already got a full suitcase, you really wouldn’t want to pack a camera, MP3 player, DVD player, books and maps as well. Fortunately, you won’t have to go over your baggage allowance as you can take them all with you in one neat portable package.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab A is a great all-round tablet and an ideal size for travelling. Watch movies, edit documents and browse the internet on the 7-inch screen. It’s large enough to watch or work on without making the tablet too bulky.
Carry it in your hand luggage without trouble thanks to the compact, lightweight design.
With it you can:
- Run apps and media at top speed with a powerful quad-core processor
- Capture holiday memories and panoramic shots with the 5MP camera. Afterwards, try editing your photos with different effects or create fun GIFs
- Keep hold of all those pictures – expand your storage by adding a MicroSD card
- Leave the charger at the hotel room, with a battery life of up to 11 hours that’s one less thing to carry round
For watching and streaming movies
Turn your tablet into a portable entertainment hub and kick back with a film on the plane, at the hotel or by the pool. Go for one with fast Wi-Fi connectivity and you won’t even have to miss your favourite Netflix shows while you’re away.
The Amazon Fire HD 10 has your entertainment needs covered. With its 1920 x 1200 resolution, you can watch films in crisp, vivid detail. You can also control it with your voice as it comes with virtual assistant Alexa. That means you won’t even have to put down your drink or plate of churros to fast forward.
With it you can:
- Access millions of movies, TV shows and tunes through your favourite apps, including Netflix and Spotify
- Store up to 6 hours of HD video and up to 7,500 photos – even you can’t take that many pics on one holiday can you?
- Enjoy a full day of entertainment with up to 10 hours of battery life
- Take holiday snaps on the rear-facing camera and Skype relatives back at home with the front-facing camera
For reading on the beach
Summer holidays are made for lazing on the beach or by the pool. And a riveting read only makes them better. Lugging a stack of books in your suitcase isn’t practical though.
E-readers, on the other hand, fit neatly in your luggage and can store thousands of books. Opt for one that’s waterproof so it won’t be ruined if it rains or gets wet on the way from the pool to the beach.
The Kobo H20 e-reader can survive a splash or even being totally submerged in water. It’s also dust and sand-proof, so ideal for those breezy days on the beach.
The e-ink touchscreen display is easy on your eyes when you’re reading for long periods. It’s anti-glare so you won’t have to squint while reading in the sun.
With it you can:
- Enjoy up to 8 weeks of reading on a single battery charge – leave your charger at home
- Choose from more than 4 million digital titles, from UK newspapers to your favourite novels
- Adjust the sharpness and size of text, and choose from 11 font styles
- Turn pages fast just by tapping or swiping your finger thanks to a powerful 1Ghz processor