How to transfer data to a new iPhone
Got a new iPhone? Here’s how to move your data from your old one.
13 May 2021
If you’ve upgraded to one of the latest iPhones, congratulations! You’re going to have so much phone with it. But first things first, you need to set it up properly.
How to transfer data from iPhone to iPhone
If you’ve got an old iPhone with data and contact information on it, you’ll want to transfer it to your new iPhone, right?
There are a couple of easy ways to do this - using the ‘Automatic Setup’ feature, or doing it through iCloud. Let us take you through each one, step-by-step.
How to transfer data to new iPhone using Automatic Setup
- Make sure you’ve got both your new and old iPhones in front of you.
- Select the correct language on your new iPhone.
- When you see the message asking you to set up with Apple ID, tap continue.
- Now pick up your old iPhone, and scan the image that appears on your new iPhone.
- Enter your old iPhone's passcode on your new iPhone.
- Set up Touch ID or Face ID on your new iPhone.
- Choose to restore your apps and data.
- Agree to the T&Cs
- Tap Continue under Express Settings to use the settings that were on your old iPhone.
- Then complete the setup process for your new iPhone. Job done!
How to transfer data to new iPhone using iCloud
- Go to settings on your old iPhone.
- Tap Apple ID.
- Tap iCloud.
- Tap iCloud Backup.
- Tap Back Up Now.
- When the backup’s finished, you can turn off your old iPhone.
- If you want to use the same SIM card, take it out of your old iPhone and pop it in your new one.
- Now turn on your new iPhone.
- Select the correct language.
- Set up your Wi-Fi network.
- Tap ‘Restore from iCloud backup’.
- Sign-in to your iCloud account using your Apple ID.
- Tap Next.
- Tap Agree.
- Select your backup.
- All the data from your old iPhone is now on your new iPhone. Good work!
How to transfer data from Android to iPhone
If you’re going from an old Android phone to a new iPhone, here’s how to transfer your data.
Head to the Google Play Store on your Android device and download the Move to iOS app. Make sure everything is backed up, which you can do through your settings menu (but it should do it automatically anyway), and then follow the instructions on your new iPhone.
iPhone will create its own secure Wi-Fi network, and talk to your old phone. This process might take a little while, but once it’s done, you should be ready to go.
If you’re still using an old iPhone, you might be thinking about upgrading to one of the latest models. Take a look at some of the best below!