How to use Google Nest Hub with your Samsung TV
Some clever ways to control the Samsung QN94 with Google’s help...
25 Nov 2021
The Samsung QN94 is a brilliant smart TV, and it gets even better when you pair it with the Google Nest Hub 7” Smart Display. This gives you the power to do lots of cool things using just your voice, so let’s start by showing you how to make them play nice together.
Pairing your Google Nest Hub and Samsung TV
Before you get to the pairing part, you’ll need to set up your Google Nest Hub and Samsung QN94 TV individually. Switch them on, follow the onscreen instructions, and make sure they’re both on your same home Wi-Fi. Easy.
Now let’s pair them up.
First of all, you’ll need to set up Google Assistant (the voice-controlled assistant inside your Google Nest Hub) with SmartThings (the Samsung app that lets you connect compatible smart devices from different brands):
- Download the SmartThings app on your smartphone and create an account (if you haven’t got one already).
- Download the Google Home app on your smartphone and open it.
- At the top left of the screen tap ‘+’, then Set up device, then Works with Google.
- Search for SmartThings and tap it.
- Sign into SmartThings and authorise the link allowing access to locations.
Now set up your smart devices in the Google Home app:
- Open your Google Home app
- At the top left of the screen tap ‘+’, then Set up device, then New device.
- Tap the home you want to add your Google Nest Hub to, then Next.
- Tap the name of your Google Nest Hub, then Next.
- Follow the in-app steps to set up your Google Nest Hub.
- Now set up your Samsung Smart TV in the same way.
Controlling your TV with Google Nest Hub
Okay, time to put your Google Nest Hub to the test with a few commands to control your Samsung QN94 TV. No remote control required… all you need is your voice:
- “Hey Google, turn on the TV.” If you’re walking into the room with your hands full of snacks, you can now turn the TV before you settle down. Every second counts sometimes - no more missed starts to Bake Off!
- “Hey Google, mute the TV.” If there’s someone at the door and you can’t find the remote control to turn the TV down, panic over. Mute now, search later.
- “Hey Google, is the TV on?” If you’ve left the kids in the living room with their homework, and think they might be watching TV, this command will reveal all. And if it turns out the TV’s not on, you don’t even have to apologise to the kids for not trusting them. Result! Do you fumble through your open windows and apps to find what you’re looking for? You can group and organize open windows and easily pivot between them with the ground-breaking multi-tasking tool, Snap Assist. Effortless to use—just drag windows to the edge of the screen to activate in just a few clicks.
Moving TV content to another room
Did you know that you can also watch TV shows on Google Nest Hub? With a simple voice command, you can transfer the Netflix, YouTube or Disney+ content from your Samsung TV onto the Hub display. So, you don’t have to miss a second of your favourite show if you need to go into the kitchen to make a quick cuppa. All it takes is these magic words:
“Hey Google, resume on <your TV name in Google Home>”
Just make sure your TV is linked to Google Nest Hub. To do this, go into your Google Home app, tap your TV name / Settings / Recognition and sharing / Enable voice control and more. Then follow the onscreen steps to link your devices.
For even more voice commands, check this out: More ways Google Nest Hub can transform your day
Need more info on a piece of tech you’re thinking of buying? Then chat to one of our experts, in-store or via video call on ShopLive. They’ll happily answer your questions.