Make the breast fried chicken fakeaway with our special ShopLive cook-along
Olivier Proudlock and Emma Louise Connolly teach us to wing it
05 Mar 2021
In this special ShopLive Event, we were joined by Olivier Proudlock and Emma Louise Connolly, who battled it out to create the best Fakeaway version of a Spicy Chicken Burger and Chips, using the brilliant new Ninja Health Grill and Air Fryer.
The Ninja Health Grill and Air Fryer offers 5 great cooking features including Grilling, Air Frying, Baking, Roasting and Dehydrating.
But for this recipe, it's all about the grill. It’s like an indoor BBQ, helping you create the same chargrill taste with a fraction of the smoke. Watch below as Olivier and Emma cook up a storm.
Want to find out if this chicken was as good as it looked? Check out the recipe below!
Nashville hot fried chicken
PREP: 20 MINUTES | MARINATE: 8 HOURS | PREHEAT: APPROX. 3 MINUTES COOK: APPROX. 30 MINUTES | MAKES: 4–5 SERVINGS
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons chilli powder
1 tablespoon mustard powder
2 tablespoons sea salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
4 uncooked bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
2 uncooked bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts, each split in half
120g plain flour
120ml vegetable oil, divided
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
4 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- Stir together garlic, onion, chilli powder, mustard powder, salt, and pepper. Place half the mixture in a large resealable plastic bag or container. Add buttermilk and combine with spice mixture. Set aside remaining spice mixture.
- Place chicken in the buttermilk mixture and marinate in refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
- Strain chicken from marinade. Combine remaining spice mixture with flour in a large mixing bowl. Working in batches, toss chicken in flour mixture until evenly coated. Gently tap chicken to remove excess flour.
- Rub each piece of chicken with oil, using a total of 60ml for all pieces.
- Plug probe into unit. Insert crisper basket in unit and close lid. Select AIR FRY, select PRESET, then use the arrows to the right of the display to select CHICKEN. The unit will default to WELL to cook chicken to a food-safe temperature (there is no time adjustment available or necessary when using the PRESET feature). Select START/STOP to begin preheating.
- Insert probe horizontally into the centre of the largest piece of chicken close to (but not touching) the bone. (see probe placement instructions on page 7).
- When unit beeps to signify it has preheated, place chicken in the basket. Close lid over the probe cord.
- While chicken is cooking, whisk together remaining 60ml vegetable oil, brown sugar, paprika, and cayenne pepper in a large bowl.
- When unit beeps and the display reads FLIP, use silicone-tipped tongs to flip the chicken, then close lid to continue cooking.
- When unit beeps to signal cooking is complete, use oven mitts to remove probe from chicken.
- Gently toss chicken in the spiced oil mixture and serve.