Save space with built-in appliances
Splashing out on a stylish new kitchen or creating more room in a small one? Integrated appliances could transform your home…
19 Jun 2019
Built-in (or integrated) appliances can change your kitchen game. They perform just as well as their freestanding friends, but are made to fit into your existing kitchen units – giving a sleek and seamless look, either by being cunningly disguised by cupboard doors or adding a bit of tech glam.
Why go for integrated appliances?
- Save counter space – microwaves and ovens can live in perfect harmony side by side in your wall
- Make your kitchen work better for you – a built-in oven at eye level means less bending down
- Don’t cramp your style – say goodbye to freestanding appliances that stick awkwardly and don’t match your units
- Open-plan feel – your kitchen will seem bigger without freestanding fridges or cookers
Are integrated appliances the future of kitchen design?
Our kitchens – and the tech in them – are becoming smarter and more connected. This is all to make our lives easier, so it makes sense that in the future, whichever appliance you need will be there at your command.
Imagine seamless surfaces and uninterrupted units, where a sink can suddenly appear in the worktop when you need to wash your hands.
Here’s some future ideas for innovative integrated kitchen tech – and some super smart appliances you can get now.
Future: You won’t even be able to see the oven. It’ll be hidden in a wall unit, with a door that changes from opaque to transparent when you need to use it.
And who says it needs to take up space in the kitchen? We’ll probably see it integrated with cupboards and drawers in a variety of shapes and sizes.
Now: A built-in oven is easy on the eye and has loads of benefits to change the way you cook.
- Place it at eye level – see how your beef joint and roasties are coming along, and don’t strain your back and knees taking food in and out
- Mix and match hobs and ovens – you're free to choose the type, model and style of both
- Easy to clean with enclosed design – no more pulling out the cooker to pick up scraps of pasta that have fallen down the sides
Why not try… AEG BCS552020M Electric Oven
This extra-large oven has 10 different cooking features – perfect for making a feast for the whole family. And the clever SenseCookTM allows you to monitor the internal temperature of your bakes so the Sunday roast comes out perfectly each and every time.
Future: Just like the oven, the hob will be hidden until needed – this time in the work surface. So if you’re not using it, it’s just a normal stretch of worktop. And if you are, it’ll light up and adapt to whichever pan you’re using.
Now: Incorporated in your kitchen worktops, built-in hobs look fantastic. Plus, you can stick the hob anywhere you like as it’s separate to the oven.
- Choose between electric, gas or induction – regardless of your oven
- Built for purpose - they’re designed to fit average kitchen worktops, which measure around 60cm (600mm) deep
- Make it work for you – save space with 2 or 3 hob burners, or go with 5 hob plates plus added wok burner
Why not try… Bosch Electric Induction Hob
This 60cm hob is a great addition to any kitchen. Much faster than a conventional hob, it can boil a pan of water almost 3 times quicker than a ceramic hob. It generates heat via special magnets that heat the pan directly – and it’s easy to clean because spills won’t get burnt on to the hob.
Future: The fridge will be the leader of your smart kitchen tech. It’ll tell you what’s inside, what you can make from the food you’ve got, and order your usual supplies when you’re running low. Oh, and it’ll be seamlessly integrated into your cupboards, with only a smart screen display to give its position away.
Now: Big, tall but essential – a conventional fridge freezer tends to stick out like a sore thumb. Go integrated to blend your most noticeable appliance into your kitchen’s design.
- Gives you more space - often slimmer than freestanding fridge freezers (designed to fit a 60cm gap)
- Fits your kitchen aesthetic - blends into your kitchen’s design by sitting behind cupboard doors, with trailing cables concealed
- Easy to clean – no one likes cleaning down the sides of a grotty fridge
Why not try… Samsung integrated 70/30 fridge freezer
With this, you get 194 litres of fridge and 72 litres of freezer space. The slim walls create extra room for storing food – ideal for large families who batch cook and devour dairy. Plus, you’ll never have to bother with defrosting again thanks to True No Frost technology.
Future: Laundry will be a breeze. Your integrated washing machine will sort your clothes, choose the right washing cycle, dry and fold them – all you have to do is put them away.
Now: Tired of your boxy, not-so-pretty washing machine ruining your oh-so-pretty kitchen? With an integrated machine you can shut it out of sight so you don’t have to air your dirty laundry in public.
- Seamlessly blends into your kitchen’s style – a big white washing machine can never fit in with shabby chic decor!
- Less bother - they’re often quieter to run as they’re soundproofed by your kitchen cupboards
- Keep your smalls out of sight - hide your delicates when friends are over to spare your blushes
Why not try… Beko WIY72545
You get versatility and discretion with this Beko. It has 15 wash programmes, including Dark Care and Baby and Toddler for sensitive skins. Need clean gym gear fast? A full load on quick wash takes just 28 minutes.
Future: Just like the washing machine, your dishwasher will run itself. Depending on what you’ve cooked, it’ll find the right wash setting to get your plates and utensils sparkling clean.
You won’t have to fight with awkward shelves on wheels – the drawers will sit side-by-side and pull out easily. And if we’re to believe the latest Black Mirror episode, they’ll even be able to detect excess food waste before the cycle starts!
Now: Wash those dishes right out of your hair with an integrated machine that you can shut away – out of sight, out of mind.
- Forget about it ‘til morning - just load up the dishes and press start!
- More space for storage - slimmer ones give you room for your other appliances, while the largest ones can wash more than 14 place settings
- Low noise level – ideal for open-plan living
Why not try… AEG ComfortLift
We heart this integrated dishwasher as it lets you gently slide and lift the lower basket upwards to make loading and unloading less of a hassle. As well as protecting fragile plates and glasses, it also uses less water and energy to get your dishes sparklingly clean.