Surface Pro 4 or Surface Book – which is right for you?
The ‘tablet that can replace your laptop’ or the ‘ultimate laptop’ – which of Microsoft’s high-end Windows 10 devices is for you?
17 Nov 2016
The Surface Pro 4 is the latest in the line of powerful tablets that can replace your laptop. The Surface Book is more recent, a high powered laptop that can double as a tablet. Both are incredibly beautiful, powerful and easy to use Windows 10 computers. They can run demanding software with Intel Core i5/i7 processors and up to 16GB RAM and have incredibly sharp screens.
Surface computers boot quickly and programs launch faster thanks to SSD storage – thinner, faster and lighter than regular hard drives.
The Surface Pen – helping creators create
Both Surface computers are excellent tools for creatives, with enough power and speed to get the best from Adobe Creative Cloud apps like Photoshop and Illustrator. Microsoft and Adobe collaborated to make Creative Cloud and Surface devices work better together.
The Surface Pen is a pressure-sensitive digital stylus that comes with both computers. With it you can draw directly onto your Surface device’s screen when working in Photoshop and Illustrator – certain Abode tools are optimised to get the best from it.
But Surface isn’t just for creatives. There are many other cool things to do with Surface Pen
- Take notes and make lists directly onto the screen - OneNote opens when you tap the pen’s eraser.
- Write directly onto webpages and share with friends – using Microsoft Edge browser
- Double-click the eraser to capture what’s on your screen and paste directly into OneNote – annotate and share
- Change tips of the pen to better match your writing or drawing style – from fine-point pen to classic pencil
Surface Pro 4 or Surface Book?
Surface Pro 4
In a nutshell: The tablet that can replace your laptop with a slim design and clever keyboard cover
The Surface Pro 4 looks and feels like a tablet. Though inside it has more oomph than many laptops. It’s superb for watching movies and web-browsing, but add the Type Cover keyboard (sold separately) and you’ve an excellent portable workstation. With the Surface Pen and Adobe software (bought separately) you have a design studio you can take anywhere for editing photos, graphic design and more.
Why choose a Surface Pro 4?
- Work on documents, spreadsheets or design projects on the train, at meetings or at your desk
- Bigger and much better screen than Surface Pro 3 – 12.3 inches and 2736x1824 resolution
- Stream movies by propping the tablet on the table on its kickstand
- Incredibly easy to attach and detach the keyboard
- Carry from meeting to meeting – slimmer and lighter than Surface Book (766g/8.45mm)
- Same 9-hour battery life when being used as a tablet or laptop
- Deliver presentations or show off your portfolio by hooking up Surface Pro to your screen and using the pen as your clicker
The best option for… creative professionals and business-folk looking for a lightweight but powerful device for working on trains, in cafes and in meeting spaces as well as at home. If you want a truly portable device with enough power for designing and working on the road look no further.
In a nutshell: Microsoft’s first-ever laptop with power, premium design and a detachable screen
The Surface Book is every inch the premium laptop with its minimalist metal finish and powerful specs.
But where a regular premium laptop has a normal hinge connecting the body to the screen, Surface Book is different. Its hinge detaches to turn the screen into a separate tablet.
This make it perfect for designing on screen with the Surface Pen as well as using as a regular laptop. Microsoft calls it ‘the ultimate laptop’… and it’s just unveiled an updated version called the Surface Book i7.
Why choose a Surface Book?
- Premium design – this magnesium-cased laptop is one of the most beautiful we’ve seen
- Proper laptop and a tablet with Dynamic Fulcrum Hinge that easily detaches the screen and keyboard
- Larger and higher-resolution screen than Surface Pro 4 for working up close or watching Netflix in incredible detail
- Work all day with 12-hour battery life or 16 hours’ battery life on the Surface Book i7
- Get the best from Photoshop and Illustrator and handle high end video editing with a model that has discrete NVIDIA GPU
- Surface Book i7 has more than twice the graphics processing power of original Surface Book
The best option for… creatives craving a laptop that delivers both performance and style, incredibly high powered for the most demanding work. The Surface Book will spend more of its time as a laptop, for use in the office or at your home studio. But its tablet mode is perfect for designing at home or away.