What 2 in 1 laptop should I buy?
Student, creative or businessperson? Get the best of a laptop and a tablet with a 2-in-1 device…
12 Jul 2018
What is a 2-in-1 laptop?
It’s a laptop that can also be used as a tablet to give you more flexibility for work and play. It’s designed to get the best from the touchscreen and mouse-and-keyboard controls of Windows 10.
Ready to see what’s on offer? Here’s our pick of laptops for students, creatives and business professionals. Each one comes preinstalled with Windows 10 – Microsoft’s latest operating system.
Students – HP Pavilion x360
In a nutshell: Ultra-portable for life on campus, with the perfect compromise between power and price
What makes a good student laptop? Something that has Word for writing essays in the library and a decent screen for watching Netflix back in halls. And it should have plenty of juice to keep you powered up during the day.
Great for life on the go, the new and improved HP Pavilion x360 is lightweight enough to carry around campus.
It has a 360-degree hinge, so you can type up essays and emails on the full-sized keyboard – then flip it back to turn it into a touchscreen tablet for flicking through Facebook. With it you can:
- Work on essays and browse the web quickly thanks to the 8th Gen Intel Core processor
- Watch Netflix and movies in comfort by switching to tent mode
- Experience fast booting and quick launching of apps with SSD
- Enjoy up to 11 hours of battery life on a single charge
Or try the new Acer Switch 3, which features a quad-core Intel processor for faster computing. Ultra-portable in a compact, detachable design, it’s ideal for taking to lectures then turning to tablet mode for entertainment. And with up to 8 hours of battery life, you can leave your charger back at halls.
Creatives – Microsoft Surface Pro
In a nutshell: Look for a top-notch laptop with head-turning design, enough power to run Adobe Creative Cloud, and a digital pen for sketching
What makes a good laptop for creatives and designers? Powerful processers for demanding design software are essential. And you’ll need a super-sharp screen for working up close.
Add the Microsoft Surface Pro to your setup and work with precision on the ultra-sensitive 12.3-inch touchscreen. Sketching out designs with the innovative Surface Pen (sold separately) will feel fluid and natural. With the Surface Pro you can:
- Run creative programs like Photoshop and InDesign with ease thanks to powerful 7th Gen Intel Core processing and SSD storage
- See the finest detail in your designs on the Quad HD display which packs in 267 pixels per inch
- Take it to meetings with clients as it weighs just 770g
- Quickly switch between laptop and tablet mode with the integrated kickstand
Business professionals - HP Spectre x360
In a nutshell: Slender, stylish and sophisticated – choose a powerful 2-in-1 that can handle meetings, presentations, emails and reports
What makes a good business laptop? You want something that’s portable and powerful, with a decent keyboard and easy access to emails. It needs to be able to work with Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint – and is more than up to multitasking.
Try slipping the HP Spectre x360 in your briefcase. A lightweight 2-in-1 that doesn’t compromise on power, it looks the part in a stylish aluminium finish but, weighing just 2.14kg, you’ll barely notice it’s there.
You’ll power through jobs in no time thanks to the 8th Gen Intel Core processor that’s ultra-fast and responsive. With it you can:
- Present impressive presentations using the 4K Ultra-HD screen
- Type on the full-size keyboard in laptop mode then effortlessly turn it into a touchscreen tablet using the 360-degree hinge
- Video call colleagues and clients with ease thanks to its Full HD webcam
Want to explore more? Discover our range of 2-in-1 laptops