Which action cam is right for me?
Skateboarders and sun seekers, travellers and techies. Find the perfect action cam for you…
17 Apr 2018
All about the action cam
Action cameras are designed to help you shoot videos from the skate park, mountainside, ocean, beach, bike track, river rapids and pretty much anywhere.
They’re small rugged cameras that attach to things like bike helmets, skateboards, surfboards, rucksacks, wrists, drones, headbands and more.
They allow you to record memories as you see them – from your point of view. Your videos and photos can be uploaded and shared from anywhere.
But which is right for you? We compare GoPro with Nikon.
GoPro: The original action cam
GoPro is the biggest name in the action cam world. It all began in 2002 with a 35mm camera attached to a wrist strap. Fast-forward 15 years and some 26 million GoPro cameras have been sold. What’s more, a dedicated global community of millions of GoPro users are inspiring newcomers every minute of every day.
Why not try… GoPro Hero6
Simply the best GoPro. Capture the world as you see it with the Hero6. It’s the follow up to the previous flagship Hero5, which won 5-star reviews from experts and everyday users alike.
The Hero6 takes the best bits of the Hero5 and adds some super-cool new features – like the ability to play back footage in slow-mo.
- Swim, dive or jet-ski: 10M/33ft waterproofing with no need for accessories
- Think it, say it, do it – say ‘GoPro start recording’ for hands-free recording
- Shoot video in 4K at 60 frames per second (fps) – compared to 30fps on GoPro Hero5
- Smooth and steady footage when shooting fast-moving action with advanced video stabilisation
- Better image quality with the all-new and super powerful GP1 chip
- Capture professional stills in RAW for better editing control
- Stop and start recording with a single, fuss-free button
On a smaller budget? Enjoy the GoPro experience for less with the more limited spec of the GoPro Hero. It shoots up to Quad HD footage and is a great introduction to the world of action cams.
Nikon: The new kid on the block
Nikon is one of the biggest names in photography. Photographers around the world have loved its cameras since the late 1950s. They've blazed a trail of pioneering camera releases, from early SLRs to cutting-edge DSLRs. Now it moves into action cams.
Why not try… Nikon KeyMission 170
If you’re looking for an alternative to the GoPro, the Nikon KeyMission 170 is a good place to start. It boasts a viewing range of 170° and has a very ‘action camera’ look and feel – a small, rectangular unit with a rugged design.
- Simple controls – simply hit the shutter button to shoot footage or take a photo
- Shoot video in Full HD or 4K – but only up to 30 frames per second
- Waterproof to 10m without separate housing so you can dive, swim and shoot footage
- Built to last: can survive being dropped from as high as 6ft
- Shoot footage that remains steady with built-in electronic image stabilisation
- Start recording with the push of a single button – even if camera is switched off