Which smart sound multi-room system should I buy?
If you love streaming music, you’ll want to find a smart speaker to suit you and your home, here’s our pick of the best…
06 Feb 2019
What are multi-room speakers?
Multi-room speakers let you listen to your music in different rooms at the same time with everything being controlled by an app on your phone, tablet, or computer. So you won't have any messy wires trailing all over the floor.
With multi-room audio you can:
- Fill your home with lots of speakers – as many as 32 if you so please.
- Create speaker groups so you can have one group playing upstairs and another group playing downstairs.
- Control all of your speakers through a single app.
- Stream directly from services like Spotify, Apple Music and Deezer.
There are plenty of options to choose from so let’s look at some of our top picks…
Get wall to wall sound from the Bose Home Speaker 500
Here’s one for all the audiophiles out there. If you’re looking for a smart sound multi-room speaker that comes from a brand known for making top-notch audio kit, the Bose Home Speaker 500 ticks all the boxes.
It’s designed to fire music in all directions delivering powerful, room-filling sound that’ll get everyone dancing.
Alexa voice control means you don’t even need to press a button or pick up your phone, just say “Alexa, play my Spotify dance playlist” to get the party started.
Here are some of its best bits:
- 360-degree design fires music in all directions, filling any room with sound.
- Simple setup and control using voice, touch, or the Bose app.
- Link with other Bose speakers to create a multi-room setup.
- Modern design with a full-colour display showing you what’s playing.
Incredible sound from Sonos - the original smart speaker.
Sonos wasn’t just the first, their speakers are also some of the best in the world - combining great sound quality, clever smart tech, and effortless access to streaming services like Spotify.
With a Sonos you can:
- Control everything from the Sonos app
- Unrivalled compatibility: stream with Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, Deezer, SoundCloud and many more
- Fill your home with as many as 32 Sonos speakers
- Control your music with your voice thanks to Amazon Echo compatibility
- Enjoy full-bodied sound automatically tailored to the size and shape of your room
Expanding your Sonos network
Adding speakers to your Sonos network couldn’t be easier, get the sound pumping right through your home by combining speakers with a Sonos Beam Sound Bar.
Cutting edge tech in a retro package from Samsung
If you’re looking for something that’s super stylish, delivers Hi-Res audio, and is also packed with the latest tech, the Samsung VL350 might be just the ticket.
It might look like something straight out of the 70s with it’s beautifully designed wooden panels but the tech hidden inside is bang up to date.
Samsung has teamed up with audio specialist AKG to deliver clear, powerful audio with huge bass. Distortion cancellation technology gives you deep, powerful and clear sounds, even at high volume.
With the Samsung VL350 you get:
- Powerful and rich audio thanks to fine-tuning from audio specialists AKG.
- Compatibility with Samsung SmartThings – just download the app.
- Bluetooth connectivity so you can play directly from your phone, tablet or computer.
If the big sound from the VL350 just doesn’t sound big enough, check out its big brother, the Samsung VL550.
With three 6.3cm bass drivers, this is a speaker that delivers huge audio from a slim and stylish package.
Effortlessly manage your smart home with a Google multi-room speaker
When it comes to smart tech, Google certainly knows what it’s doing. And the Google Home Max combines all of Google’s smart tech know-how with incredible sound.
The Home Max is the biggest and most powerful speaker from the Google smart sound range. It’s been designed with dual woofers and two tweeters so you’ll always get clear, powerful audio.
Link it with your Google Home app and control other smart devices like smart lights or smart heating. You can also check the weather forecast, set reminders, or even make phone calls just by saying “Hey, Google…”.
If you’re just getting to grips with your smart home, the Google Home Mini is the perfect place to start.
It’s super easy to set up and effortlessly connects your smart tech together meaning you can control everything with your voice. Listen to music, manage your schedule, and get answers to almost anything.
Get big sound from the beautifully designed Apple HomePod
The Apple HomePod combines Apple Music and Siri into a compact, yet powerful smart speaker. There are no buttons to worry about and setup is simple, everything is controlled with your voice. Want to chill out to some relaxing tunes, just ask Siri.
With Siri, you can even stay in touch with friends and family. Just ask Siri to send a text or make a phone call.