Which vacuum cleaner should I buy?
Whether you’re running around after messy kids or suffer from allergies, we’ve got a vacuum cleaner with your name on it…
11 Sep 2018
You’re looking for a vacuum cleaner to make light work of your dusty corners and grubby carpets. So, where should you begin?
Different models suit different lifestyles, so make sure you know the difference between upright, cylinder and cordless vacuums. Don’t forget your budget, too.
For busy families with kids and pets
In a nutshell: Look for a hard-working vacuum that makes quick work of spilt cornflakes and dog hair
Everyone in your family leaves their fair share of mess – from biscuits trampled into carpets, to dog hair on the bed and, of course, swathes of dust wherever you look.
Plus, your family home probably has many different types of flooring, including carpets, laminate flooring and tiles.
Look for a versatile vacuum cleaner that:
- picks up superbly on laminate and tiles as well as carpet
- has multi-cyclone cleaning power for better suction
- is bagless, making it easy to empty
- is easy to push around so the kids can help with the housework (in your dreams anyway)
- is hardwearing, ideally with a 5-year guarantee
Why not try… Dyson Light Ball Multi Floor
This great all-rounder performs amazingly on carpets, floorboards and laminate. Have animals as well as kids? It tackles pet hair, and even sucks out fur lodged deep into carpets. It’s an upright vac with clever ball technology for easy cornering – and it's bagless, making it super easy to empty.
Couples and singletons with limited space
In a nutshell: You need a vac that’s super-easy to store and use.
If you live in a flat or small house and don’t have a lot of room to store bulky appliances, you need a vacuum that’s portable but powerful, and can be mounted to the wall for charging.
Look for a nimble vacuum cleaner that:
- is cordless for hassle-free use – light and flexible
- can be wall-mounted and charged inside a cupboard
- converts to a handheld vac for cleaning the car and stairs
- includes crevice and upholstery tools
- empties straight into the bin
Why not try… Dyson V10 Cyclone Animal
This cordless vac is easy to move around and has up to 60 minutes cleaning time on a single charge. Switch to handheld mode to tackle hard-to-reach spots and, when you’re done, just ‘Point and Shoot’ your debris into the bin, then attach to the wall for easy charging.
For allergy sufferers who want dust-free homes
In a nutshell: You’re prone to allergies, eczema or asthma - you need a powerful vac to blitz away the dangerous dust and pet hair.
Your home may look clean to the naked eye, but pesky dust mites could be lurking anywhere – that’s why you need a vacuum that can penetrate deep into carpets and fabrics. Don’t forget that pets and pollen can cause airborne allergens inside your home, too.
Cleaning up all this dust takes some serious suction power.
Look for a powerful vacuum cleaner that:
- can filter out allergens
- lifts stubborn dust and pet hair from carpets, laminate and floorboards
- has crevice and upholstery tools to remove dust from furniture and stairs
- uses odour control to neutralise smells
Why not try… Miele Complete C3 EcoLine
This cylinder vacuum has a multi-stage filtration system that sucks up dust powerfully and quickly, leaving carpets, floors and indoor air superbly fresh and clean. The vacuum’s bag retains even the smallest dust particles, and it's also great at getting into corners and up against walls.
For students in shared digs
In a nutshell: You don’t have a big budget so choose an affordable vacuum to keep your student house clean.
Students are notoriously messy, but you’ll have to clean your student house at least once if you want your deposit back. Sometimes landlords supply a vacuum cleaner, but if not…
Look for a budget vacuum cleaner that:
- is great on both floors and carpets for cleaning up the morning after
- doesn’t eat into your student loan too much
- can pick up hair – in case anyone likes cutting their own to save cash
Why not try… Hoover Breeze Evo
For less than £90 you get a great-performing bagless vacuum with a 2-in-1 tool for tackling curtains and furniture as well as carpets. It has a large bin capacity, so you don’t have to keep emptying it as you go, and you’ll save cash on bills as it has an A+ energy rating.
Choose the right vacuum cleaner for your home and lifestyle - see our full range of vacuum cleaners