What is an air fryer and how does it work?
Craving for chips clashing with your healthy resolutions? Air fryers offer the best of both worlds...
24 Dec 2018
The evolution of frying at home
Is one of your New Year resolutions to be healthy? With an air fryer, you can still make favourites like chips. They’ll still have the crispy, deep-fried taste you love, but with zero guilt.
What is an air fryer?
The air fryer is an electrical gadget that circulates superheated air around your food. If you’re cooking chips, for example, you only need about 1 tablespoon of oil for 1kg of sliced potatoes.
How do they work?
The machine helps the oil coat them thinly so there’s not too much oil to saturate your spuds. Circulating hot air cooks and crisps your chips to perfection. No more submerging your chips into deep vats of fattening oil.
The hot air system cocoons your food in heat, cooking it evenly. The stirring paddle keeps things moving, so there’s no need to shake or stir. It’s hands-free cooking at its finest, leaving you to do more important things.
But they’re not just for chips...
From curries to tapas, air fryers can fry a variety of foods with much less fat and oil. Meat, fish, even desserts can all be cooked in this super-healthy way.
Think coated chicken wings, salmon fillets with pesto, stir-fry prawns...there are loads of tasty recipes to choose from when you download the My ActiFry app.
What are the health benefits of air frying?
Using 80% less oil to cook your food means a big reduction in fat intake:
- A 300g portion of traditional deep-fried chips packs 37g of fat
- A 300g portion of chips cooked in an air fryer contains just 9g of fat
Chips will never be a low-calorie choice but you can make them healthier by reducing the amount of fat.
Ready to air-fry? Why not try…
Tefal ActiFry Plus
Quick to heat up, accurate temperature, and hot, crisp chips. Telfal ActiFryers have got it all.
It’s ready to cook in just 3 minutes, and uses a tiny amount of oil (14ml) per batch. As well as chips it’s great at cooking things like scampi, and it's super-easy to use too:
- Click the cooking pan into place and fold down the handle
- Slide the stirring paddle on (if you’re using it – a must for chips)
- Put 1kg of sliced, dry potatoes in the pan
- Add 14ml of oil with the measuring spoon (included)
- Set the timer for 40 minutes
Cooking chips by smartphone
What about frying chips from your phone? You can control your ActiFry from your smartphone with the ActiFry XL Smart.
It’s controlled by an app and connects by Bluetooth. You simply choose a recipe from the app, put in your ingredients, then tell the air fryer to start cooking.
Cooking for the whole family
Tefal’s patented hot air system is put to use in the ActiFry Genius XL. Requiring only one spoon of oil, the extra-large 1.7-litre fryer cooks family meals with a fraction of the fat.
- Enjoy quick, healthy dinners – nine automatic programs ensure hassle-free cooking
- Easy for the whole family to use – the touch-screen interface makes everything simple
- Pre-program your meals – the Delayed Start function prepares your food for when you get home
- Lock in the heat and flavour – the Keep Warm function is ideal when somebody’s running late
- Quick and easy cleaning – the parts are dishwasher-safe, saving you more time in the kitchen
Cook it your way
The Power AirFryer XL Health Fryer offers six primary cooking functions so you can still enjoy all your favourite foods.
Prepare home-made meals at the touch of a button and save kitchen stress with these programs:
- Fry – enjoy crispy chips without the guilt
- Roast – prepare roasted spuds for Sunday dinner
- Bake – make a sponge cake for a friend’s birthday
- Grill – enjoy delicious crisp bacon fast
- Sauté – whip up a delicious stir fry in no time
- Steam - cook your favourite veggies while locking in the goodness
You can now enjoy all your go-to dishes with the delicious flavours you crave – just without the grease.