Freestanding vs built-in ovens – which is right for me?
Looking for a new oven but not sure what’s best for you and your kitchen? Whether you’re fitting-out your first home or revamping your kitchen, we can help…
28 Jan 2019
In a nutshell: An all-in-one cooker that stands on its own four legs. It’s got a hob on top, oven space below and some have a separate grill
The main advantage of a freestanding oven is that it’s one complete package. It fits into an existing gap in your kitchen and comes in a variety of sizes. You can take it with you if you move house too.
What do you get with a freestanding oven?
- Slots neatly in your kitchen – sizes range from 50cm to 150cm wide
- Choose from gas or electric – whichever you prefer to cook with
- Stress-free cleaning with enamel easy clean, pyrolytic self-clean or catalytic liners
- Flexibility for more ways to cook – go for a single or double oven
Why not try… Zanussi Electric Induction Cooker
This affordable cooker, in slick stainless steel and black, offers bags of space for all your dishes. With a double oven and integrated grill, and you can fry, boil, simmer and sauté on the ultra-responsive ceramic hob.
Anything else I should know?
Although, in theory, you can choose where to put your freestanding cooker, it will need to be close to a power source – whether that's a plug or gas outlet - usually within a range of about 1.5 metres.
We always recommend you use a qualified electrician to install an electric oven. And if you’re getting a gas oven, make sure it’s fitted by a Gas Safe registered engineer, as that’s the law.
In a nutshell: A combination of ovens, grills and hobs that are perfect for feeding big families and cooking lavish Sunday roasts.
If you want to make a statement – both design and cooking-wise, one of the best types of freestanding oven is a range cooker. It’s designed for serious chefs who like to experiment with new dishes, or those who often cook for lots of people.
What do you get with a range cooker?
- Up to 50% more oven space than smaller freestanding ovens
- Cook dishes at different temperatures, with a choice of up to 4 oven compartments
- Several hob plates so you can have lots of pans on the go at once
- Spend less time scrubbing with easy-clean oven interior and hobs
Why not try… Rangemaster Kitchener 90
Whip up sumptuous Sunday roasts in this iconic dual fuel cooker. With a large combined oven capacity of 135 litres, it’s well equipped to cope with family meals or dinner parties. If pan-frying is more your style, you won’t be short of stove-top options either – it has a 5-burner gas hob plus wok burner.
In a nutshell: An integrated cooker that seamlessly blends into your kitchen for a modern and stylish look.
If you want the flexibility of a range cooker but don’t have space for one – or worry it’ll be out of sync with your gorgeous new kitchen units – a built-in oven is the way to go.
Built-in ovens, as the name suggests, are installed into kitchen units or fixed to cupboard doors. A built-in oven is usually 60cm wide, which is the same as standard kitchen units.
What do you get with a built-in oven?
- You're free to choose the type, model and style of hobs and ovens so you can mix and match
- Option to place it at eye level so it's easy to see how your dishes are cooking
- Flexibility to put the hob where you like – wherever works best for you
- The choice of conventional, fan or multifunction ovens
Why not try… Bosch HBS573BS0B electric oven
Create culinary masterpieces in your cool-looking kitchen with this fantastic multitasking oven. Plus, once the cooking’s done, there’s no need to scrub it – just activate pyrolytic cleaning and the oven will burn away grime, so all you need to do is give it a quick wipe, and you’re good to go.
Is there anything else I need to know?
A built-in oven is very tricky to move once it’s in place – you can’t just pull it out like you can with freestanding models. If you're moving house, your built-in oven will have to stay put.
And as you're slotting this type of oven into place, you'll need to have it installed by a professional – whether it’s gas or electric.